Like IMR on Facebook for current news,
monthly features, & entertainment

Recommendations InsureMyRig

Truck fleet insurance roemer report

5 tips for starting a trucking comapny
Top 5 Reasons You Should Be With InsureMyRig

5 tips for starting a trucking comapny
Top 5 Tips For Starting
A Trucking Company

Reasons To Drive a Truck | Insure My Rig
Top 5 Reaosns
to Become a Truck Driver

Top 5 Things
InsureMyRig Doesn't Do!

Top 5 Tips to Becoming
an Owner Operator

Top 5 Reasons NOT to Buy
Cheap Trucking Insurance

Top 5 Reasons for

Receive the Monthly
Roemer Report

* Email
  * = Required Field

Toledo, Ohio, USA
For more information, visit:
The Roemer Insurance Website
or call 419.475.5151
3912 Sunforest Court
P.O. Box 8730
Toledo, Ohio 43623
419-475-8750 fax

American trucking association logo


  Website Last Updated on January 20, 2015

Owner Operators Filing For Their Own Authority

There is a natural progression of drivers in the trucking industry: first, company driver, then, owner/operator, and finally, getting your own authority.

At each step, you are taking on more responsibility, and therefore are increasingly subject to variable insurance costs and additional regulation. To make matters even more complicated, the procedures are constantly evolving. However, most of the steps have remained consistent. The process is somewhat time consuming, but if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, there are many services on the web that can assist you with the process, and even speed it up somewhat. The federal website to begin the process can be found at and you can find a great deal of information there.

Five Easy Ways to get a Quote
888-931-1934 ext. 230 or 228
2. Online Quote Form
Fax: 419-475-8750

A summary of the steps to become your
own trucking authority are as follows:

  • Be prepared. You are going to need good credit, financing and a plan. Hundreds of new authorities are filed every week. Hundreds more go out of business every week. Plan ahead.

  • You need to fill out paperwork for several different entities including:

    • MC number, issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

    • DOT number issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation

    • BOC3 process agents who can accept legal documents on your behalf

    • Acquire trucking insurance. Understand what you need. Talk to an agent who specializes in trucking insurance. They can advise you on which insurance market would be the best fit for what you plan to do with your operation; and give you options on coverage and deductibles. (get a fast quote now)

    • UCRA – Unified Carrier Registration Agreement

    • IFTA is concerned with tracking your mileage per state.

Obtaining your own authority is a complicated endeavor. As always, we advise talking to professionals who do this for a living. Your business will require at the minimum, three advisors who are very familiar with trucking: an attorney, an accountant, and an insurance agent. These trained professionals can help you avoid the pitfalls of a new business venture, and help you protect and grow your business through the years.

For a quote on your insurance, please click here. To talk to any of our dedicated trucking professionals, please call 888-931-1934



Whether you're looking for owner operator insurance, motor carrier insurance, or private carrier insurance, Insure My Rig  commercial truck insurance for trucks and trailers of all sizes including:

  • Auto hauler trailers
  • Box trucks
  • Expeditors
  • Dump trucks
  • Dry Van Haulers
  • Flatbed trailers
  • Garbage trucks
  • Intermodal Haulers
  • Livestock Hauler
  • Tank trucks
  • Semi trucks