Leased Operator Truck Insurance

What Is Leased Operator Semi Insurance?

If you’re an independent semi owner operator leased to a motor carrier they likely will provide you with the majority of your liability insurance coverage. However, it’s usually in your best interest to buy your own non-trucking liability, physical damage and occupational accident insurance. This is known as Leased Owner Op Insurance.

Why Do I Need It?

You need this insurance because the coverage the motor carrier provides – or offers - might not be enough. The primary liability insurance coverage they likely will provide covers injuries or damage to other people or property if you’re at fault.

But, consider these possible situations:

  • What happens if you’re involved in an accident while not under dispatch?
  • What if your truck is damaged or stolen?
  • What if your cargo is damaged or stolen?

General liability insurance will not cover these situation, which is why you need your own tractor trailer insurance.

What Types of Insurance Do I Need?

You’ll want to get quotes on at least three types of insurance:

Non-trucking liability insurance: Provides you with coverage when you are not under dispatch

Physical damage insurance coverage: Covers the cost of fixing your semi if it’s involved in an accident or stolen

Occupational accident insurance: If injured, or worse, in a work-related accident this insurance will cover you.

How Do I Get Leased Operator Truck Insurance and How Much Will It Cost?

While most motor carriers will offer you additional insurance coverage, as detailed above, you can get a better deal if you buy it yourself. The best way to do that is to get a quote from an insurance company that specializes in big rig insurance. has experienced leased operator trucking insurance experts who can provide coverage to individual big rig drivers. Give us a call today or fill out a quote online.

Here are 2 easy ways to get a semi truck quote from InsureMyRig: