Non-Trucking Liability Insurance

What Is Non-Trucking Liability Insurance?

Non-trucking liability insurance covers independent semi drivers when they are outside the scope of their lease agreement with the motor carrier.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Generally, this coverage applies when semi operators are driving their big rigs without trailers on their own time.
  • This insurance does not provide coverage to semi drivers while they are under dispatch.
  • Non-trucking liability insurance is a more narrow coverage and does not cost as much as Bobtail insurance, another coverage you might consider but usually is not required by motor carriers. (For more information on this coverage, click here).

There’s more to know:

  • Non-Trucking Liability is in most cases required by the motor carrier when you have signed a lease agreement.
  • This insurance fills a potential gap for non-business use of the equipment, and helps to protect the motor carriers primary liability policy.
  • As part of a Non-Trucking Liability insurance policy there are additional coverages you might consider that can be included in your insurance portfolio

Why Do I Need Non-Trucking Liability Insurance?

As an owner/operator, when you sign a lease with a motor carrier, the commercial auto liability policy of that motor carrier will provide coverage while you are under dispatch.

The definition of dispatch usually includes the return trip to the point of origin.

However, since you own the semi, there are times when your big rig will be operated while not under dispatch. Non-trucking liability provides coverage if you were to damage another person’s property or, worse, injure them during personal use of your truck.

In short, you need your own liability insurance to protect your equipment investment and your livelihood in case the unexpected happens.

When Does Non-Trucking Liability Coverage Kick In?

Generally speaking, non-trucking liability is coverage for non-business use. The motor carrier’s liability policy will cover you from the dispatch point, through pick-up and delivery and back to point of origin. But any personal use between your return and the next dispatch should, in most cases, be covered under Non-Trucking Liability insurance. Keep in mind there will be exclusions in this policy, so you’ll want to discuss the policy in detail with your agent and carefully read your policy.

How Do I Get Non-Trucking Liability Coverage and How Much Will It Cost?

The best way to get this coverage is through an experienced trucking insurance company.

In most cases the coverage limit will be $1,000,000 combined single limits.

A good company will offer you several different pay plans and continuous coverage until the policy is cancelled. They can also package your non-trucking liability with the following additional coverages;

  • Physical damage
  • Occupational accident
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Declining deductible
  • Electronic equipment has experienced Non-Trucking Liability insurance experts who can provide coverage to individual big rig drivers. Call us today or fill out an online quote. (Owner Operator Quote | Own Authority Quote)

Here are 2 easy ways to get a semi truck quote from InsureMyRig: